Students taking part in our School program return to Milwaukee Rep multiple times throughout the year getting exposure to different facets each time. Each classroom receives a Pre- and Post-Show workshop for each featuring a guest artist from each show. Lessons are scaffolded to practice critical thinking skills about how and why we make theater and what roles there are on and beyond the stage.
Please contact Education Associate Auburn Matson at email@example.com if you are interested in bringing this program to your classroom this school year.
This unique subscription program geared toward high school students includes classroom workshops with in-depth theatrical learning experiences for students. It introduces students to the theater through multiple points of contact, giving a breadth of knowledge on how literature is brought to life on our stages and fosters a deeper appreciation for the art. By engaging in four stories that represent different aspects of the human condition, students learn how to empathize with people that might be different from themselves.
We do this by inviting each student to:
- Attend multiple productions at Milwaukee Rep
- Participate in workshops and discussions led by actors and Education staff in their classroom before and after each performance
- Participate in one Rep Immersion Day, a full-day experience featuring demonstrations by our production staff of how they bring each production to life;
- Explore the different careers in the arts during a Backstage Tour of Milwaukee Rep; and
- Respond to their experience through writing informal reviews of two of the productions
The program cost is estimated at $800 but will vary depending on group size. Tickets to the four Milwaukee Rep productions are not included in the price of the residency. Ticket prices range from $5-$15 per person. All 1:30 pm Wednesday matinees are $22. The number of students and chosen performances will influence the total cost of the program.
Rep Education Program Standards
Rep Education programs are designed to engage students in meaningful experiences that explore interdisciplinary topics and concepts connected to the art seen on Milwaukee Rep stages. All programs work to develop student’s skills in three primary areas:
- Reading Comprehension (e.g. text evidence, reading enjoyment)
- Social-Emotional Learning (e.g. relationship skills, social awareness)
- Theater Participation (e.g. understanding of and involvement in the theater)
Because these three areas are based largely on English Language Arts and theater, Rep Education program objectives and measures are aligned to both Common Core, National Arts standards, and Wisconsin Model Academic Standards. This allows us to offer students holistic experiences at Milwaukee Rep and in the classroom by supporting the existing grade-level curriculum.
While specific standards-aligned objectives vary from program to program, Rep Education is happy to work with you to determine how our programming can best support your curriculum. Our arts integration can be applied across grade levels and subjects, including (but not limited to):
- Social Studies (history, geography, political science and civics, behavioral sciences)
- Early Learning
- Art and Design
School Subscription Partners
Our school partners for the 2021/22 School Subscription Program are:
Dr. Howard Fuller Collegiate Academy
NOVA High School
Ronald Reagan High School
Tenor High School
Veritas High School